Study Advising FAQ

#1 : Can I have a language class (e.g. with the Sprachenzentrum) count toward my curriculum?

Yes, but there are some strings attached: Your language instructors need to certify that the course had the workload of 10LP, and they need to give you a grade. It is your responsibility to negotiate these two factors before taking the class. If you have documentation of a grade and a 10 LP workload, any ASL study adviser can help you turn that into SQM credit. (Please note that you cannot have an English class count.)

If you want to have a language class count toward your Wahlbereich, you will need to find a study adviser in the corresponding institute who certifies that your language class is equivalent to one of their modules. (E.g. if you want to have your Spanish class count as a Wahlbereich, we can only book it thus if a Romanistik study adviser tells us which of their regular modules it is equivalent to.)

#2 : I failed an exam. Can I repeat it?

Whenever you fail an exam in an American Studies module, you can repeat it if you also failed the module in its entirety, i.e. if there were no other exams in the module that compensated for your failing grade. In other words: you can only do repeats if you failed a module, and you can always only repeat those parts of the module exam that you failed individually. Example: Let’s assume that a module exam consists of a lecture and a paper, and that these two partial grades are counted 50/50. If you have failed the lecture and have received a grade lower than 3.0 for the paper, you may repeat the lecture exam. If you also have a failing grade for the paper, you may repeat both parts of the module exam (i.e. paper and lecture exam).

#3 : How do repeat exams work?

If you have failed an exam, you may repeat it within one year of originally taking it. To repeat an exam, first find out when the repeat will be (repeat dates are typically posted on the ASL webpage). Once you know when the repeat will be, check back with the Exams Office to make sure that you are signed up for the repeat. You may be barred from taking a repeat if you are not properly signed up through the Exams Office.

If you were ill and could not take an exam, you are automatically signed-up for the repeat. If you cannot take the repeat, talk to the Exams Office to have your name taken off the list. Otherwise you risk having the repeat count as a fail-by-absence.

#4 : Exchange/Erasmus Students: How many ECTS Credits can I earn for a seminar/lecture and how do I enrol into courses?

You can earn ECTS-Credits for every course taken and completed at American Studies Leipzig, with the amount of credits being dependent on your program level (Bachelor or Master) and the extent of work completed in class.

The basic requirements for earning any credit in a course are regular attendance (≥ 80% of total course hours) and active participation. For courses taken at the Bachelor level (Master level in parentheses), you have two earning options to chose from:

Reduced: Earn 2 (3) ECTS Credits by fulfilling the basic requirements outlined above and—depending on the individual course design—successfully completing a number of additional academic tasks the instructor of the course might assign specifically for this earning option.

Full: Earn 4 (5) ECTS-Credits by fulfilling the basic requirements outlined above, as well as successfully completing all assigned academic tasks (*) and passing the final exam.

Admission and enrollment are granted and managed on an individual basis by the instructors of the respective courses. Please contact the instructor of a course you intend to enroll in as early as possible, since the number of participants might be limited. Please also make sure to consult with the instructor about credit-earning options and the corresponding requirements early on.

If the credit transfer procedure of your home institution or exchange program should require it, you can individually obtain a Course Certificate from the instructor after successful completion of a course, documenting your participation and the amount of ECTS-Credits earned.

(* Bachelor-level courses only: This can include, but might not be limited to, multiple graded assignments over the course of the semester (PVLs), the passing of which being required to qualify for the final exam.)

#5 : How can I get my credits transferred?

No matter if you earned credits at another university or if you transfered from another program within UL: Please come to our office hours and bring all necessary documents, such as transcripts including course title and content, grades, and credits. You might even send us an email with these documents attached - as long as you make sure they give proof of the courses you wish to have recognized (“anerkannt”) and counted toward your curriculum (“angerechnet”). Please note: It is important for you to at least have a broad overview of the courses and modules ASL offers, so you do not present us with documentation on mathematics or urology! And even if we translate foreign grades into the German grading system, we do not retroactively grade papers or tests.

#6 : How do I integrate studying abroad in my Leipzig curriculum?

When you plan your study abroad,

  1. use the ASL Module overview (“Studienverlaufsplan”) and the “Modulkatalog” (both available under Downloads and Resources) to identify modules that you have not yet taken and that you would like to earn credit for while studying abroad.
  2. using the course catalog of the university you plan to study at, identify courses that disciplinarily, thematically, and methodologically correspond to the Leipzig module you want to replace. Many universities list the ECTS credits you can get per course, which can help you to make sure that the courses you select are roughly equivalent to a module at Leipzig (10 ECTS).
  3. present your plans, including the courses you want to take abroad and the seminars/modules you want to replace here at Leipzig to a study adviser. Once they approve your plans, you are ready to go ahead.

#7 : I have to work in order to finance my studies and have trouble finding enough time for university … / I’m not managing to complete the recommended 30 credits/3 modules per semester … is there something I can do?

If, due to work or other reasons, it is difficult for you to complete the recommended 30 credits per semester, you can register as a part-time student. This way, it is possible to only take 3 or 4 modules per year in order to have more time to focus on non-university matters, and the ‘Regelstudienzeit’ (i.e., the official expected period of time for finishing your studies) will be adjusted accordingly. This, in turn, can be helpful if you’re eligible for BAföG or a scholarship, or generally to contextualize the length of your studies in your CV.

You can request to study part-time by writing to the Exams Committee. The process is relatively straightforward and is detailed on the central university website.

If there is ever a longer period of time during which you think you will not be able to actively take part in modules, it is also possible to take a sabbatical/a leave of absence for a semester or two. Leave semesters do not count towards your studied semesters, but you can still take exams during them. More information is available on the central university website.

If you have questions on what might best suit your studies, feel free to contact your study advisers.

#8 : I have a disability or face a similar disadvantage that makes it more difficult for me to study. Is there any way for the university to help me with that?

You have the possibility to ask for a ‘Nachteilsausgleich’ (i.e., compensation for disadvantages). If granted, then depending on your particular situation, it is possible, e.g., to adjust the modalities of an exam so that your disadvantage is addressed (e.g. by providing you with more time to hand in a written lecture exam). You apply for such a Nachteilsausgleich with the Exams Committee, and once granted, you then receive confirmation that you can hand to individual instructors (so that you do not have to disclose any personal details with them individually each time).

There is more information available on how to apply for a Nachteilsausgleich via the central university website and also via the Studienbüro (both in German). There are also forms available to help with the process. Some very brief general information is available in English, just as some of the forms (e.g. on general information about what to hand in and on examples of possible methods of compensation). If the lack of English translations makes it difficult for you to understand the overall process, feel free to also contact your study advisers.