Frank Freidel Residency
The Frank Freidel Residency Program is meant to allow US scholars to enjoy the resources of the Frank Freidel Memorial Library at Leipzig University while engaging Leipzig’s American studies community and meeting other scholars across Germany. The Frank Freidel Memorial Library is an interdisciplinary collection in the field of American studies. Integrated into the Universitätsbibliothek Leipzig, it is part of Germany’s second-oldest university library, founded in 1543.
The residency program aims to encourage transatlantic scholarship and teaching on the United States. In the spirit of this mission, the program goes beyond mere research opportunities: A graduate workshop allows for interaction with American studies MA students, three lectures bring the resident in touch with different scholarly communities in Germany. The residency is thus ideal for scholars who want to sharpen their international research and teaching profile while working on their own project.
The program is co-funded by the University of Leipzig and the American Embassy. It comes with generous support, including a stipend, travel expenses, free housing and bilingual student assistance. The residency lasts six to eight weeks. In detail, it includes:
- a stipend
- travel expenses
- free housing in the University’s International Guest House
- full access to the Frank Freidel and other University of Leipzig resources
- teaching of one compact block seminar to discuss the fellow’s research project with advanced graduate students
- three lectures with academic American studies audiences, one in Leipzig, two in other cities
- a bilingual student assistant
The residency is offered once a year in June/July. For more information about the Residence Program and the application process, please refer to the program description (pdf) below. Queries and applications should be directed to Dr. Katja Kanzler, executive director of the Freidel Residency Program.
The Frank Freidel Residency Program has been discontinued in 2009. Please check back for possible updates.
- 10 Jun, 17:00 Frank Freidel Lecture: "What Do Animals Look Like?"
- 06 Jun, 13:00 Additional Block Seminar by Frank Freidel Scholar in Residence
- 04 Jun, 00:00 Frank Freidel Resident Dr. Paula Lee arrives in Leipzig
- 14 May, 18:00 ASL Announces 2008 Freidel Scholar in Residence, Dr. Paula Lee
- 21 Mar, 16:00 Frank Freidel Residency: Call for Applications
- 01 Jul, 16:00 First Freidel Resident Madeleine Vala Arrives in Leipzig