American Studies Leipzig receives regular requests for our scholars and staff to participate in continuing education programs for many different sectors of society, including teachers, journalists, members of the business community, officers and soldiers, and government officials. We see it as one of our key responsibilities to participate in these crucial education programs. Such civic engagement is a central way for American Studies to be an active citizen in the broader community.
Recent examples of such civic engagement include American Studies' participation in a teacher training workshop for high school teachers from throughout Mitteldeutschland (Saxony, Thuringia, Saxony-Anhalt) in March 2006. Our seminar centered on Globalization and American Society.
Another recent example includes the seminar offered by American Studies for high schools students from throughout Germany. This was held on 5 Oct. 2006 in Wesseling (outside Cologne) at the Konrad Adenauer Foundation's national center for continuing education. This is just one example of the civic engagement we pursue. We also do events with the Friederich Ebert Foundation and other foundations.
A fuller list of recent activities is included below.
- 25 Feb, 15:00 One-Day Workshop in Dresden on U.S. Elections
- 10 May, 08:15 Simon Dubnow Institute and ASL Hold Workshop
- 04 May, 14:30 Lecture & Workshop in cooperation with Simon Dubnow Institute
- 30 Apr, 14:30 ASL Participates in Teacher Training Workshop
- 18 Apr, 19:15 U.S. Consulate and ASL Cooperate on Teacher Training.